How to register a vessel

You need to register a vessel to use on NSW waterways if it:

<li>has an engine of 4kW or more</li>
<li>is 5.5m or longer (with or without an engine)</li>
<li>is a personal watercraft (PWC)</li>
<li>needs a mooring licence or marina berth.</li>

To check if a vessel is already registered, call 13 77 88 or visit a service centre.

There are penalties for operating an unregistered vessel.

If you have interstate or overseas registration, and you’re moving to NSW, or using NSW waterways longer than 3 consecutive months, you need to register the vessel in NSW. You can do this by following the steps on this page. If unsure whether you need NSW registration, see interstate or overseas registration.

Domestic commercial vessels (certain vessels used for a commercial, governmental or research activity) do not need NSW registration when operating under the Marine Safety (Domestic Commercial Vessel) National Law Act 2012. See Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA).

For other watercraft, such as engine-powered hydrofoil boards, see Emerging technologies.

Read more from this story

Explore our Florida Sailing Guides to learn more about the awesome sailing destinations within Florida, the Keys, and the Caribbean. Our posts and articles offer insights and tips & tricks for navigating the tropical waters. We don’t just charter yachts – we are sailors at heart as well!